The 12th KIX EAP Webinar will take place on 30 March 2022 (10:00 CEST/Geneva) and will explore the linkages between Education and Development through the lens of Paulo Freire. Many scholars and educators in the EAP region are influenced by Freire, and this webinar will join the celebration of the Brazilian educator centenary.
The webinar will be conducted in English with interpretation into Arabic and Russian.
KIX EAP Webinar 12: Education as Development in the centenary of Paulo Freire from NORRAG NETWORK on Vimeo.
About the webinar
Tristan McCowan, Professor of International Education at the University College London Institute of Education, will open the webinar by reflecting on the linkages between Education and Development under the lens of Paulo Freire. This introduction will be followed by the sharing of examples by three scholars on how Freire’s work may be used in today’s context for better and more inclusive education systems in the EAP region.
Rasha Sharaf, Professor of International and Comparative Education at Helwan University in Egypt and KIX EAP Knowledge Lead, will reflect on Paulo Freire’s messages on “Teachers as Cultural Workers” and the implications for teacher education programs in the Arab region. Sajid Ali, Amir Sultan Chinoy Associate Professor, will share his critical thoughts about education and development in Pakistan, focusing on the current fault lines within the education system that cause social inequities. Finally, Alexandre Dormeier Freire, Senior Lecturer at the Graduate Institute of International and Development Studies, will examine some of the different dimensions of Paulo Freire’s work in his praxis in Palestine and Vietnam.
The webinar will provide sufficient time for group discussion. Country participants are invited to share their own experiences on the webinar’s topic.
- Education and sustainable development: perspectives from Paulo Freire (Tristan McCowan)
- Teachers as Development Agents in the Arab Region: A Reflection on Freire’s “Teachers as Cultural Workers” (Rasha Sharaf)
- Education and Development in Pakistan – some critical reflections (Sajid Ali)
- A reflexive journey with Paulo Freire in Palestine and Vietnam (Alexandre Dormeier Freire)
Anyone is eligible to participate. The webinar is particularly aimed at policy makers, education stakeholders, officials, teachers, and academic researchers. To be able to access the webinar, you need to register in advance.
After registration, please make sure to check your spam folder if you have not received the confirmation email. In addition, we recommend users from public institutions to use a personal email address to register as Zoom may be blocked by your place of work.
Speakers and Moderators
- Tristan McCowan, Professor of International Education, University College London Institute of Education
- Rasha Sharaf, Professor of International and Comparative Education and Education Administration at Helwan University in Egypt and KIX EAP Knowledge Lead
- Sajid Ali, Amir Sultan Chinoy Associate Professor
- Alexandre Dormeier Freire, Senior Lecturer in the Interdisciplinary Programmes at IHEID